Thursday, November 24, 2005

Time is an illusion

I have come to realize that time is illusory, it's never what you think it is. Just when you think that you will have enough of it, all of a sudden it's gone.

Kyle has signed up for the Navy, I knew that the likely hood of him going into the military was quite high. He is in ROTC, and he has always been fascinated with planes. He will be inducted into the Navy in July a few days after his birthday. I am very proud of him, and his decision to go into the Navy.

Just this past Monday Gregory set up an appointment to talk to the Marine Corps recruiter, and on Wednesday he decided that he wanted to join. He starts all the paperwork on Friday. Next week we will know what his choice of career will be, and when he will be going off to boot camp. And, yes, I am very proud of him, and his decision to join the Marines.

Now this is where time became the illusion. With Kyle going into the Navy after his birthday, there is a small part of the summer where he is still at home, not very long but some. With Greg already being 18 he may very well have to leave within days of his graduating. It's almost Christmas, which means the school ear is almost half way through. Now, while I was waiting for the day when both boys would be graduating and heading off to college, I always thought that it would be much later, it isn't. They are growing up and becoming young men. I find it scary that they will be off in the world without me. In some ways I have been anticipating the day that they would grow up and leave, now though it is much to soon for my liking.

All I can do now is hope and pray that they will be ok, and that they will live their lives to the fullest.

Live fully....

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

Wow. It seems like only yesterday when you visited us in Leavenworth and the boys were very, very, very young. (I have the photo of Talena and Kyle right next to your photo, the boys school pictures right next to my computer.) I am proud that they have made some rather adult decisions about their futures. If they have any questions about military life I will be pleased to answer them.

Being a parent is an interesting job. We do the best we can and then we have to let them fly. They will do well, regardless of what decisions they make. I will put a few more stars by their names on my prayer list. I know that whatever happens to them it is what they wanted and is part of their life's mission.

I know there were decisions each of my daughters made that I would not have made. That is the joy/sadness of parenthood. You can only protect them so much and then they learn and survive. If we are lucky we also prosper.

Take care and give them my best.

Love,

Dad

Jack K. said...

By the way, have you read Richard Bach's book Illusions?

You will like it.

Serve well!

Dad