Saturday, November 12, 2005

Procrastination Reigns!

In this last week I have discovered just how skillful I am at procrastination. Let me explain further, again more procrastination, I'm so good at it.

I started writing, then noticed after a couple of days that writing with the TV on was slowing down the process. At that point I decide to listen to CD's, I have a CD player on my alarm clock. I start my search for the right music to write to by looking through the stack of CD's on Jerry's desk. Didn't find anything there that struck my fancy, so went to look through the stacks on his computer table and dresser. Didn't find anything there that struck a chord with me either, both desks are in the bedroom, now I had to go to the front room to look through the stand that hold CD's. Found Enya, The chieftains, those would work for now. Decided I needed to find a specific one by The New World Renaissance Band, couldn't find it. Looked through the stack on Jerry's desk at least four times, found CD cleaning disk, looked through the stacks on his computer table and dresser, still did not find it. Looked through the CD stand at least twice more, well not all the way through because I didn't think it would be that far down. Looked to see if Greg or Kyle had it their room, they didn't. Finally looked all the way through the CD stand, there it was on the very bottom, imagine that. Had the CD's that I wanted to listen to, and the means to clean the CD player on my clock.

Now that I have everything, I really should clean the CD player as it hasn't been done in who knows how long. Put cleaning CD in player, push start, it tries to go and then stops. Great, the CD player doesn't work. There is a boombox, the CD player in it doesn't work either. Hold on a second, I have a laptop, it has a CD/DVD player in it, duh. Put in an Enya CD, get the little box that asks what do you want to do. In the list is itunes, I have itunes on my laptop. I didn't know I had itunes, thought all I had was the Windows Media player. Now I'm sure you know where this is leading. Started playing the CD, started playing with the program. Found I could import the music from the CD into itunes, then realized that I could identify the album and the artist. Thought, shouldn't I be able to input the names of the songs? It can be done, but not after you've imported the music. Spent the next couple of hours inputting the CD information. Found that itunes has an equalizer, had to play with that. Discovered that I could make a playlist, had to do that. Noticed that the list can be set to shuffle the order and made to play continuously, oh joy, now I can listen to the same forty-six songs without getting bored with them. Now that I had the music I wanted to listen to on my computer, I was able to write without distraction.

Or so I thought, anyway I check my email, and blogs. I have been chosen to become a Virgin Mobile Insider, this is my cell phone company. If I complete tasks I can earn points, I can then turn these points in for prizes, airtime, and other stuff. One of the tasks was to open a Myspace account and add Virgin Mobile to my friends list, which I did. I will add the link to the sidebar here. In starting a new account I had to spend some time in learning how it works. More time procrastinating.

These were the big things, there are always the daily things that can get in the way of writing. Making sure kids are up for school even though they are big enough to get up on their own. TV shows that have to be watched, only a couple of those thankfully. Just love watching Starting Over, this is a reality show that actually helps women better themselves. Taking Maggie to work, she has been promoted to second cashier and will become head cashier by December 14th, with the appropriate pay raises. Picking Maggie up from work. Jerry getting ready for work, he is my biggest distraction. The boys coming home after school, and their friends coming over, have to make sure that they are behaving themselves. Then there are the shows on Monday and Tuesday evenings that I have to watch.

After checking email, there is the blog for NaNowriMo that has to be checked, the blogs of family and friends, the Virgin Mobile website, the Myspace webpage, and of course this blog. All of these things make me a great procrastinator! I know that I have the choice of whether these things should distract me or not, and sometimes I do let them. To bad writing in this blog doesn't count towards my word count on my novel.

Dad, if you want I will email you the new novel. I would like your input on it.
Ash, please send me the link to your blog, I won't put on here if you don't want me to.

Thank you to all who read this, and are wishing me luck in this years novel writing. I am going to finish last years attempt as well.

Live fully....

1 comment:

Jack K. said...

Thank you for asking about sending your new novel to me. I would be delighted. You know how much I admire your writing skills. I am sure that this one will be as absorbing as the last one.

As for this procrastination skills. You come by them honestly. I am hardwired to put things off when something more intriguing comes along.

Have you discoverd the radio link in iTunes yet? I have been listening to the smooth jazz from sky.fm.

I will also get back to writing in my blogs. I have put it off for too long. I am going to have to write a few more chapters for things I have stumbled across. I am still cogitating on a chapter about spirituality. I am almost to the point where the muse will slap me up along side the head and say now is the time. I'm almost afraid it will around 4AM. Oh well, when the muse calls you must respond.

What was that? It sounded like your novel muse. Better answer.

Love,

Dad

PS: I'm working today and checking out my blog sites. Got to move on to some of the others now. I read about 10 of them.