Sunday, October 30, 2005

Spring Cleaning!

I know, I know, it isn't spring. So either I'm late this year or early for next year. Either way, I'm almost done with rearranging our room. When Jerry went to go get his mom he said he was going to quite smoking, so I thought it would be really good if the house didn't smell like smoke. I went to the store and got Febreeze and some carpet deodorizer. The living room was the first room to be cleaned and rearranged. The thing that you must remember is that there are five people living in a single wide mobile home and all of us are pack rats to some extent, Kyle doesn't "collect" as much stuff as the rest of us. That said, cleaning the front room took several hours, lots of vacuuming, and rearranging of tables, clearing the top of the piano off, placing grandbaby pictures on it, and throwing lots of stuff away. It felt so good to get rid of a lot of the junk that was in there. Maggie was able to reorganize some of her things so that she can get to them easier, which means that her stuff is now in containers that she can get into. Now all of her stuff is put away! Yeah!

The last couple of months Jerry and I have been wanting to rearrange our room, make it easier to get into the closet, give the appearance of more room in a small room, and move the TV closer to the bed. Yes, I started this process while Jerry was gone. It took almost twenty-four hours to clear a path along one wall. I took out Jerry's dresser and just kept going down the one wall, this had been Jerry's side of the room. A few months ago I had rearranged my side of the room, in doing that though it gave Jerry more space to store stuff. The last time our room was rearranged was about four years ago, at that time I had been going through radiation therapy and didn't have the energy to go through all the stuff that had been in our room at the time, so everything had been put into crates and boxes and shoved in the closet or under the desk and the bed, then there was the next years of not going through it all and adding to the mess. It took more than a week to get the room clean, organized and comfortable. There are a few things that still need to be done, mostly paperwork that has to be gone through, it won't take all that long to to do.

After I get that done, I will be starting on the kitchen. We no longer have a dining table, instead I have a sewing table that has drop down sides. Well, when I cleaned my side of the room a few months ago I ended up with four large bags of clothes, one kitchen size bag, and Maggie has a kitchen garbage bag of clothes. All these bags are around the sewing table, and as I thoroughly cleaned our room any and all sewing and craft things ended up on the sewing table. Now it's the kitchens turn to be cleaned and organized.

The good thing is that the house doesn't smell like smoke anymore, and Jerry is well on the way to quitting. He is cutting back on how many cigarettes he smokes each day. Soon he will be smoke free! Yay!

Have to get going, still have to get groceries. Hope everyone's week is a good one.

Live fully....

1 comment:

Jack K. said...

Aahh! The joy of being able to see the results of a job well done.

Tell Jerry to keep up the good work and when he gets down to about two smokes a day, just say That is enough.

Give my best to all. Happy Halloween.

Love,

Dad