Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Power of the Written Word

Next month is National Novel Writing Month. I am once again taking the challenge of writing 50,000 words in one month. I have as yet very few ideas on what to write. It is while I'm pondering this that I come to the realization that the written word is very powerful. No matter what is written, whether it is fiction or non-fiction, the writer has the power to change the way people think. When it comes to court cases a written document carries more legal weight than someone's word or promise. While the spoken word is very powerful, those words gain so much more power when they are written for all to see. Even when no one else sees what is written, they have the power to change the writer. What is written can make people see their world in a different light, make them change the way they live their lives. This is a power that should not be taken lightly, even when writing a bit of fiction, the writer has the responsibility to review their words. What will be the effect on those who read what I have written? Is that the effect that I want them to have? Will it help the reader or someone in their life?

Now to decide what I want to write this year. I will not be putting my effort on a blog this year, if you want to read what I write, please let me know.

Live fully....

1 comment:

Jack K. said...

As usual, your insights are right on the target. The written word does have more power than we give it. I know that I treasure the words you write.

The other interesting part of the equation is the reader. No matter how careful we are in writing, we can never fully account for the reader's perspective. We all bring a lot of "baggage" to the written piece that will effect our understanding. (Even this last sentence is frought with opportunities for misunderstanding.)

You already know that I would love for you to finish last year's novel. However, I know that our literary muse moves us in new directions when we least expect it.

As for no more blog for a year, I will miss it. However, I would like to read whatever you choose to write.

Continue to,

Serve Well!

Love,

Dad