Sunday, June 11, 2006

Summer has begun

It has been very quiet since the last post. Greg and Kyle have been off enjoying their freedom from school, and the last summer that they will have as boys. Kyle has been taking his GED and has one more test to take. The testing is only one afternoon a week, so it's taken longer than I anticipated. I have been trying to get a few things together for the party for the boys, still haven't decided on what food to serve. Thankfully they are easy to please, just having all their friends together one last time is all they really care about.

I am trying very hard to come to terms with an empty nest. Have been trying to find different things to do, most of what I have done and planned has been around the kids. Now I won't have them to plan around. After they are gone, their friends won't be around either, that will make the house even quieter. I am very proud of them and what they have decided to do to start their adult lives, and I am sad that my babies are leaving home. I know that everything will work out for the best, and I will get through the sadness.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Live fully.....

2 comments:

Jack K. said...

Perhaps you can get around this idea, our job as parents is to get them prepared to enter the wider world.

We rejoice daily that our children our out on their own and living the lives they want to live.

There are times when we wonder about the decisions they make, but we know it is important to/for them to make those decisions.

We miss them and that is sad. We are also glad that they don't have to rely on us to run their lives. We do our best to provide the moral support they need. We hope that we have done the right things by them.

Most of all we are so proud of all of their accomplishments, however big or small. They are living their lives. We love them.

I am proud to say, you, my dear, are one of them. I love you dearly.

Dad

PS: This is not meant as way to tell you what to do. lol and a giggle or two.

Michelle said...

I have been "out of the nest" for 7 years now. I was the first to go. In those 7 years I have seen my parents grow more themselves than I remember seeing during my whole childhood. Whether this is accurate or not is hard to determine since my perspective changes as I grow as well.

Look forward to your new time of growth. My mom has since learned to play the guitar, take pictures, do pilates, quit smoking and the list goes on.

My dad has learned to appreciate my mom and he has finally started to restore old vehicles as he has always wanted to do.

Our relationships have changed and I think we enjoy them even more now. We appreciate our time together much more now than when we all lived under the same roof and were driving each other bonkers.

If you're family is like mine, you'll have a few birds fly back a few times in the next several years too.